Skip to content


What is a party wall?

A party wall is a wall which sits on the land boundary between two or more owners. You can find good examples in walls that divide terraced or semidetached homes, or walls that form the boundary between two gardens (party wall walls).

Do I need a party wall agreement?

If you’re going to be carrying out any building work near or on your shared property, you must obtain a party wall. You will also need to notify your neighbours with a Party Wall Notice, and complete a Party Wall Agreement. This became necessary when the Party Wall Act was passed by the UK government in 1997.

You will need a Party Wall Agreement for the following tasks:

  • All work that involves party walls (or shared walls) between semi-detached or terraced homes.
  • Shared ‘party structures’ such as floors between flats are used in work.
  • You can improve the garden’s boundary walls.
  • Excavation or underpinning to the party wall.
  • Loft conversions can mean cutting into a party walls.
  • Installing a damp proof course in a party wall
  • Party walls made thicker or more robust
  • A second-storey extension is built above a shared wall.
  • You can build a wall that extends beyond or to the side of your party wall.

How can we help?

Alexander Johnson Limited can help homeowners and adjoining owners to ensure the building work complies with the Party Wall Act 1997 and is completed in the shortest possible time. 

We can ensure that all the correct regulations are followed, and all parties agree on the work being done so that the process runs smoothly and efficiently.

We always go the extra mile for our clients

We’re always glad to talk to folks about how we can provide residential and commercial developments.

 For a free estimate or to learn more, feel free to contact us.